Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Back in Ayacucho

The week following my arrival in Peru I journeyed to Ayacucho in order to spend a few days back in my beloved Huamanga.


Huamanga's main plaza


It has been four years since I had been there last, and I was indeed missing it.  Unlike other trips there in past years, I was on my own and with no agenda other than to just hang out and be there.


Hostal Via Via Plaza

Also, unlike most other years, I did not stay in the old family house, but instead opted for the Hostal Via Via, on the plaza.  The Via Via is located in a converted Spanish-era mansion, that had also previously been the Hotel Sucre, overlooking the main plaza.

So, I just hung out, wandered around a bit downtown, and took in the sights and sounds.


Monument to Gen. Jose de Sucre, victor in the Battle of Ayacucho


28 de Julio Street, looking from the plaza toward the Independence Arch, and the central market.


Church of the Company of Jesus (c. 1700)



No comments: